By Ashley Brooks
Some of us have our whole lives planned out from the moment we’re able to think for ourselves while others are happy to go with the flow. And then there are the in-betweens, the ones who are undecided even after they’ve made a decision. Some of the choices we make in life have consequences beyond the immediate, consequences that have the potential to affect us both positively and adversely. Choosing a college major is one such major decision that we have to think over when we’re contemplating a degree, and in case we opt for something that we don’t like, it’s time for a change. There are certain things that you should keep in mind when you’re considering a change in your major, such as:
• Try and choose a new major that’s a little related to the one you’re in now so that you can transfer any credits that you’ve earned.
• Before you settle on a new major, take a few classes in the subject and see if you like it before you commit to it. As I said, you cannot keep changing majors as and when you like it.
• Talk with your college adviser to see if you’re making the right decision or if you need help in making a choice.
• Look at your job prospects when choosing a major. You may have an affinity for a particular subject but it may not be enough to land you a good job that pays well. What with the recession and the way the economy is, you’re better off choosing a field where jobs are always going to be available.
• Talk to the seniors in your preferred choice and find out what the coursework entails and how good your teachers are.
• If you’re hesitant about changing your major, remember that it is something that has to be done if you find your current major uninteresting, difficult, or just not right for you. College is all about choosing the courses you’re comfortable with and going on to graduate with great grades.
• Think long and hard before you fill in that application form and submit it to the concerned personnel so that you don’t end up regretting the decision you’ve made and feel the need to change majors again.
Did you enjoy this article?